Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Death by Grapes

Deep Acres Farm Concord Grapes on the Vine
Well, luckily, dad happened to mention how sweet and delicious our grapes are this season to Sherpa's dad Michael.   And how much Rufus and I love to enjoy a grape when they are fresh off the vine.  "Aren't grapes bad for dogs?" said Sherpa's dad.

Turns out grapes are bad and potentially fatal to dogs.  No more sweet concord grapes for us!

According to the AKC:

" Dogs can become fatally ill after ingesting grapes and raisins. In some dogs, as few as seven raisins brought on symptoms, including vomiting, diarrhea, and shaking. The fruits can cause the kidneys to shut down, and often, even aggressive treatment is unsuccessful.

No one is sure why grapes and raisins cause this reaction in dogs. All dog owners should refrain from feeding grapes and raisins as treats to their dogs, and keep them well out of reach. If you suspect your dog has ingested grapes, or if he starts showing symptoms, contact your vet immediately."

To make us feel better, Michael took a pic of my boy Sherpa and texted it to us.  Michael and I agree, Sherpa is one of the most beautiful TTs we have ever seen.

Sherpa, Champion Deep Acres Autumn Splendor